Sprache

Montag, 20. November 2017

A walk through BA

Saturday I went for a walk though Buenos Aires, or BA as many here call it...
Once again I started out by getting onto the wrong subway train. Well, only the wrong direction. But this time it only took me one stop to notice. I also barely made my second tram. At the final station I noticed that it was the wrong one... Is there a "shaking your head smiley"? Well, so I simply drove from one end all the way to the other end. Luckily there are only 10 stations or so, easy. So when I finally made it to the cemetary in Recoleta I could finally start my tour towards "Avenida 9 de Julio", theeeeee street in Buenos Aires. Passing stores and hotels for the rich and famous.


What can I say, impressive. Ok, it's not just one street but 2, still, the dimensions are impressive. First are the 4 lanes of "Carlos Pelegrini", then the 5 lanes of "Avenida 9 de Julio" and then 2 bus lanes. The same is then repeated for the other direction! So a total of 22 lanes which ou have to cross as a pedestrian. And as I was standing there I noticed juglars and other artists entertaining the people in the cars when the lights were red, cool.




From there I made my way using the side roads, passing the "Plaza de Mayo" where there was a protest for gay and lesbian rights, towards San Telmo.
San Telmo is a part of the city with small old houses, bars and shops were you can get anything, or so it feels. There are cobble streets, little traffic and a lot of quality of live. There is also a small indoor market where you can get good coffee, meat, fruits and loads of antiquities and militaria...



I guess it's only us Germans who get a weird feeleing if we see uniforms, helmets, etc. form WW2 outside a museum. When I was in a book store not long ago, there were a book about Adolf Hitler and one about Marxism at the register next to each other. Either left overs which had to go or top sellers, I didn't dare to ask...
On my way back I made the effort of walking in the middle of "Avenida 9 de Julio" all the way to the obelisc. There I saw again a group from the demo. One of the girls was a little too optimistic and had tried to cross the street when she had a red light. Now there she stood, in the middle of traffic having to wait until the cars had a red light again. As I've already said, as pedestrian you have the short straw.


Sunday evening I finally treated myself to a Currywurst on the roof terrace, thanks a million :-D




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen